Thursday, October 31, 2013

Amber Wheeler



 By Julie Overholt



Hi ladies! There’s a chill in the air again, which means it’s time for a hot drink, a warm pair of socks, a blanket, and a comfortable place to sit while we get to know another Sugar Grove woman of worth. Yes, it is time for another season of blog interviews. I hope you enjoy getting to know Amber Wheeler, the wife of our pastor of children’s ministries!

Matt and Amber moved their family to Goshen almost six months ago when they answered God’s calling to come and serve at SGC. Amber currently teaches and assists in the children’s ministry department at church. She is a full-time stay-at-home mom to Joseph (3) and James (1) and loves it!

Amber originally grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio, living in the same house up until she left for college! In September of 2004, she was student teaching in Matt’s hometown and lived at a Bed & Breakfast for the ten weeks that she was working at the school. While in town, Amber went to church with the owners of the B & B. Matt was the children’s pastor at their church, but was also teaching an adult small group. Amber was placed into his small group on her first Sunday and thought it was a God-match from the first time she laid eyes on him! :) 

They were married in June of 2007 and she loves married life. “What keeps the fire going in the Wheeler house is, of course, our same interests and passions. Since one of those is Christ, our personal relationship with Him is the main thing that draws us together as one. I would say staying in tune with each other is the other sticky ingredient! Consistently asking each other the tough questions and being there to listen with compassion. Also, finding time to be a couple rather than strictly parents is also big! All of this is easier said than done, and if and when it is, along with Christ’s love within each of us (because of staying connected to the Vine) the home is then able to be a haven away from all the other messes of life!”

Amber grew up in a Christian home, for which she is very thankful. At age eight she was saved at a church camp. “I felt God speaking to my heart then that He wanted me to be involved in ministry of some kind. I remember praying to Him that I wanted to go where He wanted me to go, as well as be and do what He wanted me to. I was so excited to see what was ahead!” Her dad has always influenced her life greatly in displaying to her by example to show love to others no matter what. “He always tries to make people feel comfortable and accepted around him. I want to do the same so that it may cause a chain reaction in my boys. So many go around bitter and blind to those who simply need a smile as they pass.” There are so many verses that give Amber strength, but one in particular is found in Isaiah 55:9: “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” She says she is reminded to continually place everything in His hands when she remembers that his ways are higher than ours. 

The best thing about being a woman for Amber is being a help mate and mother. “I consistently have to work on both, but I love being a woman! The advice I would have for young women or mothers would be in a phrase I  just recently learned: Stay in your own lane and go with God gas – it’s the only way to ride! Keep your eyes on God. Ask Him to make you the mate, mother, etc. that He wants you to be. We can’t do it on our own – we expect our husbands to fix us and we can’t be the girl next door!”

Amber’s favorite holiday is coming right up! She enjoys celebrating Christmas for the Reason as well as the gathering that it brings about. Something you may not know about her is that in her spare time, she would love to be a professional organizer. (I’m first in line to hire her services!)  :)

Enjoy these last quick questions as we wrap things up:

What makes you laugh? People being silly and having fun! (especially my boys)
3 Words to describe yourself? Detail-oriented, relational, passionate
Shy or outgoing? Outgoing
Tomboy or princess? Neither
Coffee or tea? Hot water
Oceanside or mountainside? 50/50
The perfect meal? I enjoy most anything!
Worst food ever? Something with strong horseradish
Morning person or night owl? Both – but that is hard!
I’d love to travel to: The Holy Cities
Listen, read, or watch to learn? I like learning from somebody. I do like to learn from a book, but it usually takes longer.
Favorite Bible character? I can’t really pinpoint on favorite character – I would have to say Jesus! We definitely learn from our mistakes and the mistakes of others, but I find it helpful to have an example of how it’s done right!
3 Things that bring peace to your life and/or help you relax? Organization. People who try to make you feel comfortable in their presence. When I’m allowing God to be in the driver’s seat.

Thank you Amber, for sharing part of your life with us as well as your heart and hands in service to our children. We look forward to continuing  to get to know you better!


No comments:

Post a Comment