Sunday, January 5, 2014

Marie Schrock



By Julie Overholt



Hi ladies!

It’s time to pull up a chair as we enjoy getting to know another special lady at SGC: 

Marie Schrock and her husband, Bob, have been attending Sugar Grove Church for 36 years. They wanted to find their own church as a married couple and found SGC to be a place that shared their beliefs and had a large number of young adults attending – many of  which are still their best friends today. Their children, Mandi (Paulo) Juarez, and Matt (Abby) Schrock grew up at SGC and continue to attend SGC as well. Bob and Marie have been blessed with one grandson (who is, of course, the greatest!), Kai Matthew Juarez, who is a year-and-a-half old.

Marie served in various areas of children’s ministries as her children grew through them: Nursery, AWANA, Sunday School, and youth group.  She served on the Phase One Decorating Team and has also been a greeter for our First Impressions ministry. She supports her husband as a Connect Group leader and Elder Board chairman.

Bob and Marie have been married for thirty-nine years and have known each other since childhood. Their families were acquaintances when Marie and Bob were children, then the two of them re-met as teenagers, as their fathers worked together at DJ Construction. “My husband is a saint. He puts up with me! And loves me unconditionally. We love to laugh at ourselves.”

Marie originally grew up in Millersburg, IN (Fairfield HS). “I loved my childhood, growing up in a small town. We didn’t have a lot, but life was simple and fun. I learned values from my parents including working hard and being respectful and kind to others. My parents influenced me greatly.” Marie’s father passed away unexpectedly when Bob was in grad school and he and Marie were living in West Lafayette ( 2 ½ hours away). Her mother became a widow at the age of fifty. It was a very difficult time for Marie, and, because of the loss, they moved back to the area to be closer to family after Bob finished his schooling. God led them to SGC and Bob to his family business a few years later. 

After returning to Elkhart, Marie worked in a ladies’ dress shop, and, after the kids were born, was blessed to be able to stay at home to raise them. She later returned to the workforce to work in the kitchen at Model School in Goshen for five years. “For those who know me well, no I didn’t cook! I served, washed dishes, and cleaned up.” She currently has her favorite job of all – babysitting for her grandson, Kai!

Marie grew up going to church and loved Jesus, but really didn’t understand or grasp how one became saved until she went with a friend to her junior high youth group and heard the gospel communicated clearly. “I’ve always said that the Lord has to have a sense of humor to be so patient with me!” Psalm 46:10, “Be still and know that I am God.” is a favorite verse that Bob and Marie share. “Clayton and Kay Bjurstrom wrote that verse on a plaque and brought it to us in the hospital when Mandi was born prematurely. It still reminds me today to be patient and trust the One who is in control.”

When I asked Marie what some of her hobbies and passions are, she said that she is passionate about her family and being with the people she loves. Her birthday is on the Fourth of July, and her mother, who is now eighty-seven years old, still hosts a cookout and family get-together as well as all of the holiday gatherings. “My hobby has been my horses. I had five at one time, but only Sienna remains, and she’s not rideable anymore. I also board a horse for a friend, so I still take care of two. “ She loves interior decorating and remodeling homes. Seeing it all come together when finished is a very rewarding experience for her!

Marie's favorite season is definitely summer, stating that she hates to be cold! She also enjoys New Year’s Day, since that was her father’s birthday. “He’s been gone for thirty-seven years and I still miss him.” Something you may not know about Marie is that she is a vegetarian (sort of), and, when she turned fifty years of age, her eyes changed color from green to blue!

Slapstick comedy will make her laugh as well as when they show bloopers at the end of a show or movie. “I still love the old Carol Burnett show. Also, Kai is so funny and makes me laugh everyday! Bob is funny, too, and laughs at himself. I laugh with him.” :)

Quick questions:

Three words to describe yourself: Sensitive, hard-working, and loyal.
Shy or outgoing? Shy, until I get to know someone. Big crowds are overwhelming to me.
Tomboy or princess? Tomboy, although I do like to dress nice once in awhile.
Coffee or tea? Tea.
Oceanside or mountainside? Oceanside, but I do think the mountains are beautiful.
The perfect meal? Potato chips and iced tea! I would have them at every meal.
Worst food ever? Liver.
Morning person or night owl? Definitely a night owl! But, I have to get up early for horse chores and babysitting.
I’d love to travel to: I don’t particularly like to travel. But, I look forward to our one annual get-away to Grand Cayman.
Favorite Bible character? Mary. This time of year, I’m reminded and amazed at the level of trust in God that she had to have.
Three activities/things that bring peace to your life and/or help you relax? Unfortunately I don’t get to relax much. But, a chair on a quiet beach 1,500 miles from here helps. At home in the evening, it’s a bag of potato chips while watching HGTV or a good movie.

Thank you Marie, for sharing your heart and glimpses into your life. May He continue to bless you and your family, and thank you for all of the faithful serving you have done in your long-term attendance at SGC!
 
We are heading into the coldest month(s) of the year. I’m going to take a chance and say that there are others who would join Marie in saying they don’t enjoy the cold?! :) During these often dreary days when we will begin to “Think Spring," may joy, hope, and His grace shine brightly within your hearts. 



No comments:

Post a Comment