Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Trish Martin



By Julie Overholt


Hi ladies,

This month I am privileged to introduce you to a lady that has joined our kids' ministry team and exudes a contagious passion to serve the precious preschoolers of Sugar Grove Church.  

Trish and her family have been attending Sugar Grove for about three years. “Sugar Grove felt like a ‘safe place to land’ for me. When Pastor Rick came back from his sabbatical, we heard him speak that Sunday, and my husband said, 'We’re tithing here!' After that, we began to make SGC home.” Since attending, Trish and her family have gotten involved in some work days, and Trish volunteered in the preschool department. She also was able to travel to Nicaragua last year with the Missions Team, and since this past November, she has had the privilege of taking on the position of Preschool Director at SGC.**

Trish and her husband Mike have been married since 2007. They met through Mike’s brother and sister-in-law, who attended church with Trish. About a year after they started dating, Mike and Trish were married at a church picnic. “We both wore jeans! It was a wonderful day, and we honeymooned in Nicaragua.” They have two boys who are ten years apart. Mike adopted their oldest son Matthew (16) when they were married, and their youngest son, Josh (6), loves to worship to Toby Mac.

“Marriage isn’t really my comfort zone. I am very independent and have to work at putting someone else’s needs above my own. I have learned that when I pray about my marriage and my part in keeping it healthy, and give my husband’s part to the Lord, I am happier with the outcome. It is rewarding to see my husband talk to others about the Lord.”

Trish was born in Illinois to Canadian parents, then raised in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Raised in a strong Christian family, she credits her mother’s family for being very influential in her life, with strong fundamental roots. Her father was an elder in a non-denominational church that met in the school Trish attended. Communion services were held in their family’s basement. Trish accepted Christ as a young girl sitting on her grandpa’s lap in her grandparents' big yellow easy chair. At the time, it was a logical and expected decision for Trish. “I think I knew then that Jesus wanted me. I just didn’t know He was supposed to have an effect on my life.”  

 Trish’s life became very predictable after that. “Really, the only time I felt I had a relationship with God was at summer camp, up in the Rocky Mountains. I felt I could hear God up there, surrounded by all of the beauty – but once I got home, He became distant to me. Eventually, I fell into the world and its ways. In college I lived with my boyfriend for several years and got pregnant. I found myself alone and in despair. I had to give up everything I knew and start over, in the remote land of Elkhart, Indiana.” 

God had Trish exactly where He wanted her when she came to Indiana. She attended Bible Study Fellowship in Goshen, just to have something to do for the time. She wasn’t really motivated, but kept going, taking little Matthew with her. “One day, Jeannie Bigler, the main speaker, was sharing about Jewish weddings. She said in a Jewish wedding the bride is waiting, while the groom walks toward her. I realized I had not said yes to Jesus! He was waiting for me! I could hardly speak. Tears were unstoppable as I tried to explain to Jeannie what words could not express. I had crossed over from death and sin to new life – a changed person!”

One of Trish’s favorite verses is found in Jeremiah 29:12. “After it says, ‘For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord,’ in verse 11, it goes on to say, ‘You will seek me and you will find me when you seek me with all of your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord.’ I feel like I am on a lifetime journey to find God.” For right now, her favorite verse is John 6:9: “Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?”

“I feel like that in serving God, there are two truths I need to always keep in front of me: 1. How little I am, and 2. How extremely perfect and awesome He is. I can provide only a rescued vessel. It is up to Him to fill it and use it for His glory.”

Trish loves serving as an advocate for people. She has a dual citizenship, and graduated from McGill University in Montreal, Quebec with a degree in education. She has most enjoyed those jobs where she can speak up for her students, whether children or women/parents, those trying to start their lives over, or anyone who feels victimized or betrayed. She has taught in childcare, preschools, grade school, summer camps, worked with middle school girls, high school youth, neighborhood community members, GED students, and women in a rehabilitation home. She also loves to edit writing and photos and is passionate about children and moms. When I asked Trish what her advice would be for young women or mothers, she gave us wonderful advice: Fall in love with Jesus!

In her free time, Trish enjoys nature and being outdoors.

Favorite season/holiday: Fall/Thanksgiving
What makes you laugh: Almost anything! Silly stuff mostly. 
Three words to describe yourself: Thoughtful, loyal, high expectations
Shy or outgoing? Both…probably more outgoing
Tomboy or princess? Definitely unprincess! I am outdoorsy, but not really a tomboy.
Coffee or tea? Coffee, except when only tea will do.
Oceanside or mountainside? YES to both!
The perfect meal: Rachel’s bread and hummus.
Worst food ever? Pumpkin pie or Brussels sprouts.
Morning person or night owl? Night owl
I’d love to travel to: France or New Zealand. But my friend is teaching in Morocco now and I’d like to go there, too!
Listen, read, or watch to learn: I learn by doing.
Favorite Bible character: Peter
3 Things that bring peace to your life and/or help you relax: Music, the Electric Brew, walking outside in the woods. (NOT on a treadmill!)

Thank you so much, Trish, for sharing a part of your life with us! And, thank you for being willing to dedicate your time and energy to serve and organize the care of the precious little people of SGC.

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” –Matthew 19:14

And He said, “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” “And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.”
– Matthew 18: 3,5

This month, may we all celebrate the love the Father has lavished on us – that we should be called HIS children. And that is what we are. – I John 3:1

Julie


**Note from Trish:  Last night I attended the Revive Indiana meetings at Maple City Chapel. I was impressed to see the whole evening was staffed by the volunteers of First Baptist Church. I love the way these meetings have served to bridge the gap between churches. I was signing up my son for childcare and I mentioned that I directed the preschool program at SGC. The woman I was speaking with was quick to say, “We’ve heard about you volunteers. Sugar Grove has great volunteers!” Well, I know that. And if you are a volunteer at Sugar Grove, you know that. The people I have serving on my teams right now are some of the most faithful, dedicated, and kind people I have met. Many of them serve in multiple areas. But my situation right now is urgent.

I need more people.

Sugar Grove is growing, as you know. We also are growing because families are growing. Babies are being born, and these babies grow into preschoolers faster than most of us like to admit. So, if you are not serving anywhere right now and you would like to start, please consider our preschool department. I am not going to say it is the easiest place to volunteer, as a matter of fact, it may one of the most time-consuming commitments. It will take your brain, your body, and your heart! But, it is so rewarding to see these kids shine! Believe me, you will not be disappointed!

Come, and introduce a child to Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment