Sunday, March 2, 2014

Jayme Yoder



By Julie Overholt



Polar vortexes are brutal, are they not?! Let’s all raise our mugs and teacups and toast to SPRING! ;) It’s coming…

This month I get to introduce you to Jayme Yoder. Jayme and her husband Carlin have been attending Sugar Grove Church for seven years. “What brought us to SGC? The shortest answer is Moise, our adopted son from Haiti. We knew we would eventually leave the Mennonite Church, but procrastinated for many years. When we found out we were going to adopt our son, we didn’t want to establish him in the church we were attending, only to leave later on, since he was already being ripped from his world. We wanted to create as much stability as possible and knew it was high time to get settled. We picked Sugar Grove based off of their theology printed on the SGC website.”

Carlin and Jayme have four children: Caitie (19), Logan (12), Moise (12), and Quinn (8). They lead a Connect Group, and Jayme also serves in the children’s department as a Sunday School teacher. She is currently supporting her husband, Carlin, as he serves on the elder board, as well.

Jayme grew up in Noble County. She and Carlin met on a blind date in high school. “I grew up in a non-Christian home, but I had a Christian grandmother and best friend. My best friend in high school was never ashamed of her faith and answered every question honestly, and showed me what I was missing. I feel God guarded my heart from my father’s non-belief. Seeds were planted throughout my childhood, and I became a Christian my senior year of high school – 21 years ago. I was pregnant and married a few months later.” 

Jayme and Carlin have celebrated 20 years of marriage now, and keep love alive with lots of hand holding and hugs. “I believe God allowed me to get pregnant to completely rip me out of my world/society and put me in church and my husband’s family where I could be mentored, and my faith could flourish. He even used my sin for my good!! My life has never been the same since. I love telling my daughter that she is the best thing that ever happened to me.”

When I asked Jayme if she has any favorite scripture verses, she told me she really doesn’t have a favorite, she loves ALL of it! “The following verses are great though, they make me feel so greatly valued, loved, and cared for!”

Matthew 11:28 Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

Matthew 13:46  and upon finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it.


Matthew 18:10  See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.

Jayme is currently the director of The Music and Dance Academy and is also a dance instructor there. Dancing is one of her hobbies/passions. She also enjoys traveling, shopping, home décor, laser tag, photography, Bible study, working, debt reduction, and tax returns ("I love filling them out and tax planning. NOT paying them!")  Jayme is also planning to run her first full marathon this summer.

Her favorite season is Christmas. “It lasts so long! You can use it as an excuse to get together with friends and family, and there are so many gatherings! Décor! Gifts! Traditions! And celebrating Jesus! I love it all!” (The exclamation points aren’t mine, they are Jayme’s. I’d say she loves Christmas.) ;)

Jayme loves being a caretaker and being affectionate with her children. Advice for young mothers? “Enjoy the time you have, it goes fast! Who cares about a clean house with no dents and scratches! They won’t remember or care how clean it was. I love the Dr. Seuss quote, 'There is fun to be done!'"

The best part about being a woman: Fashion! 
What makes you laugh: Comedian Brian Regan and my family (full of corkers).
Three words to describe yourself: Stubborn, results-oriented, and silly.
Shy or outgoing: Outgoing
Tomboy or princess: Both
Coffee or tea: Either
Oceanside or mountainside: Oceanside
The perfect meal: Ruth’s Chris
Worst food ever: Octopus. It tastes just like you would imagine rubber bands taste.
Morning person or night owl: Night owl
I’d love to travel to: Israel
Listen, read, or watch to learn: Listen
Favorite Bible character: Esther
3 Things that bring peace to your life and/or help you to relax: Massage, hot drinks, and Bible Study Fellowship.

Thank you Jayme, for allowing us to get to know you better! May God bless your family abundantly as you continue to serve Him.

May He bless your day, ladies, with something to make you laugh, a sense of His presence, and the hope that comes from knowing spring will be here shortly! 

Julie


1 comment:

  1. I've known Jayme and her family almost my whole life and they have handled life's challenges ,and there were many, with the most grace I have ever seen! I'm not surprised at all that Jayme is the woman she is!

    ReplyDelete