Sunday, March 2, 2014

Joyce Miller

By Julie Overholt



Maybe you’ve noticed it too? The more I have the privilege of interviewing and writing about the women of SGC, the more I am coming to appreciate how very different we are – in interests, pasts, and giftings! Isn’t is just so neat? I love it – and I love how He draws us all together through unity in Christ! Please join me as we get to know Joyce Miller.

Joyce and her husband Tom have been attending Sugar Grove for approximately eleven years. A year after moving up from Mississippi, they were searching for a good Bible teaching church, similar to the church they had attended in Mississippi, when Becky Troyer invited them to SGC. They were so blessed by Dr. Perdue’s messages, they continued to attend while he was preaching.  Becky, her husband Mike, and family moved to serve the Lord in ministry in Maine, but Joyce and Tom continued on at SGC.

Tom and Joyce have been married for 57 years (!!) and wed at the Silver Street (now Silver Wood) Church with the first snow of November just starting to fall when they left the church. “We met at the 4-H Fair when our Holstein heifers were tied side by side. Tom was so kind, he carried the water pails for me. We didn’t have our first date until four years later. I was then a senior and Tom had just completed his 1-W service at White’s Institute – a correctional facility for children. I believe these two years were the best training, as he was always great in disciplining our children.”

Tom and Joyce lived in Mississippi for 36 years, raising their four children there. Two of their children are now pastors - one in Macon, Mississippi and the other in Meridian, Mississippi. They have a son living in Baltimore, Maryland, working as a salesman and serving as a deacon, as well as a daughter who lives in Pigeon, Michigan, who enjoys being a parish nurse. (“Something our church needs to think about also – it’s a great ministry!”) 

Their children are all in their fifties or near fifty years of age. “I tell them they are in the best years of their lives! You’re free from most of the worries of child raising, and still have a high level of physical energy. While in our fifties, we were able to do our best years of service. We opened our farm to thousands, mostly children. They were able to touch and learn about God’s farm animals. It was my mission to give the children something positive to remember for the day. When a child goes to bed at night and thinks of a good time, sleep will be more peaceful.” 

Tom and Joyce enjoy ten grandchildren and three great-grandsons. About every two years they enjoy the blessings of being together when they rent a camp and spend several days together as a family. Having grown children and now grandchildren, her advice for mothers is to be a mother who will be remembered as a PRAYING mother. “One Mother’s Day, while teaching a five year old Sunday School class, I asked the children to tell me something special that their mother did for them. Of course the usual answers of cooking, reading to me, and playing with me were given, but then one child said, “My mother prays.”

Tom and Joyce continue to work for the Essenhaus. In the summer, Joyce manages the mini golf course, while Tom manages the carriage rides. Then, during the months of October, November, and December, they work together making gift baskets. “We are happiest when we can work – and be – together. Tom has learned to recognize what colors make for attractive basket presentations. Now, he even notices when my clothes match!” :) Then, in the winter months of January through April, they continue to enjoy working together when their small herd of sheep have their lambs.

Joyce grew up in the church and it has always been very important to her. “I remember praying on my knees as a child and talking to God as if He was right there in my room. I do not remember a date when I said, 'Here’s my life, Lord, be my Savior,' but there have been many times when the Lord has been extra close and it is such a wonderful blessing to think of these times. When I have been very lonely in spirit, the Lord has used the song What A Friend We Have In Jesus numerous times. I’ve heard this song on a walk in a park when stopping at a chapel, as well as hearing a chorale singing it. These are just two examples.” 

A verse that is particularly meaningful for Joyce has been from Psalm 19:14: “Let the words of my mouth and meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, O LORD, my rock and my Redeemer.” When the meditation of her heart and her thoughts are on the Lord, the peace she feels has given her much joy.

Joyce enjoys being in Bible studies that include women from different denominations and in her free time she also enjoys reading and doing Sudoku puzzles. “Yesterday I noticed the first signs of spring flowers starting to appear from under the snow. Flowers are my passion. I like to always have at least one arrangement in the house during the growing season. While living in Mississippi, Tom would often stop along the road or field while working the ground, and bring me a bunch of wildflowers before he mowed them off. I believe the field flowers are the best.”

Some things you may  not know about Joyce include the fact that they had the privilege of mentoring many people in their home and on the farm. They started with Fresh Air boys from inner city Chicago in their first year of marriage. Then there was the time when ten boys got into trouble on their farm. (Really? Boys would do that?) *wink* For punishment, the sheriff made each of them do ten hours of work for Tom and Joyce. Another occupant they housed was a displaced older man from Poland who lived with them for several years. “He had suffered so much.” Many of the teens that they mentored only stayed for several weeks. “Through the years our guests have taught us many things. Each person came with their own issues, and as I reflect back I often think I should have said more to give them a desire to walk closer to our Lord.” 

In addition, something that you may not know about Joyce is while in the business of producing strawberries and blackberries, she had a weekly, fifteen-minute cooking show on TV, with a new recipe for these fruits being presented each week. “This was interesting and fun, but a lot of work! One time we even presented a seven course meal in the field.”

The best thing about being a woman: Being treated like a lady.
            Favorite season: Spring. Remembering our risen Lord at Easter
            time and all the signs of new life.
            What makes you laugh: Wholesome humor.
            Three words to describe yourself: Caring, organized, energetic
            Shy or outgoing: Outgoing
            Tomboy or princess: Princess
            Coffee or Tea: Tea
Oceanside or mountainside: Both! Oceanside while viewing a sunrise or sunset. Mountainside when looking up to see the splendor of God’s creation. “I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from whence shall my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made the heaven and earth.” Psalm 121: 1-2
Favorite meal: A meal surrounded with family or friends.
Morning person or night owl: Morning person
Favorite Bible character: Esther – because of her courage. And Mary, the sister of Martha, who chose the better thing by sitting at Jesus’ feet, listening and learning.
What brings peace to your life and/or helps you relax: Sipping a warm cup of milk while reading a good Christian short story.

Thank you, Joyce, for sharing your life with us! 

Ladies, I hope you enjoy the new life that will be springing up all around us in the coming weeks! And may the One who is doing a new thing (Isaiah 43:19) work in all of our hearts to renew our spirits as we encourage each other as sisters in Christ.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment