Monday, November 3, 2014

Rolonda Graber


By Julie Overholt

The Graber family


Hi ladies!

Seasons come and go so quickly! I am currently sitting here typing this in my warm and comfy clothes, with warm socks on my feet and a fuzzy blanket over me. Chilly weather and falling leaves mean it’s time to meet a new friend from SGC! :) I am happy to introduce you to Rolonda Graber. 

Rolonda and her family have been attending Sugar Grove for close to three years.  Their family first began to become acquainted with SGC through several of the programs offered here. Within a few months' time, Rolonda joined a Beth Moore women’s Bible study, began bringing a son to AWANA, and a daughter started attending Crossfire. They eventually visited on a Sunday morning, loved the worship, and felt Pastor Rick’s sermons were great. It didn’t take long for them to commit and begin attending regularly.

Rolonda has been involved with the First Impressions team, enjoys working in the cafĂ©, and just recently has become involved with the women’s ministry team. “I love to make other people feel special. It excites me when I can figure out someone’s love language and then get to bless them in that way. I have always loved the diversity we women can bring and am excited to be a part of the women’s ministry team. I see and hear often, the many hurts and struggles we all have. I feel it helps when we can share these things and in turn be there for each other. My hope is that we can bond together and build each other up through spending time together and just having some fun.” 

Rolonda was raised in Middlebury, living on the same farm and growing up in the same house that her father grew up in. She met her husband Ted at a friend’s house at the end of her senior year in high school. They dated for about a year, until Rolonda moved to Florida. She lived there for a year-and-a-half and found herself drawn to Ted each time she visited home. She ended up moving back to be with him and they have celebrated twenty years of marriage together.

Ted and Rolonda have been blessed with four children: 18 year old twin daughters, Alexis and Kelsey; and two sons, Conner – who is 15 yrs., and Jackson – who is 11 years old.  Their family has undergone a huge transition this year with their girls graduating high school and leaving home. Kelsey is attending Bethel College in Mishawaka, and Alexis is in Fiji doing a gap year program. “It’s been a huge adjustment for me! I miss them a lot and miss having my whole family under my roof every night, but I’m happy for them and the things that are ahead of them.”

Family is important to the Grabers. Ted and Rolonda each come from a family of six and now live within a few miles of all but one of the siblings. She loves having so many cousins close by for her kids to grow up with!

Rolonda has loved being able to spend most of the last eighteen years as a stay at home mom. She has always said it is/was the hardest, and best job she’s ever had! She recently has started working part time at a home health care agency called Firefly. Working as a home care giver, she goes into different homes and helps with the daily care of people who have a hard time living alone, but aren’t yet ready to go into a nursing home. “I have really been enjoying it! It’s been rewarding to help make their lives easier and brighter. I have been feeling it’s my ministry right now as I try to talk with them about my faith when I can – reminding them how special they are and how much God loves them.”

Rolonda grew up in a Mennonite church and was baptized when she was twelve years old. “I got off-track for a number of years in my late teens and learned some hard lessons. As I started having children, I felt Him drawing me back to Him and I really started searching. I got invited to a Bible Study Fellowship class and began to learn so much. Things started to become so clear, and I understood things like I never had before. I developed a love for Bible studies and have attended many through the years. God created His word to work in so many different ways and it amazes me how the Word of God is so living and active. You can read the same verse so many times and yet still hear something new and different from Him each time it’s read!”

Some (she says she has a lot) of Rolonda’s favorite verses include: Jeremiah 29:11 “I have always claimed this as a verse over my life. It gives me such comfort knowing that God has GOOD plans for me and that I have such a secure hope laid out before me!”  Second Corinthians 12:8 “I love to remind myself often that my weaknesses can be used for His glory by letting His power shine through in these areas. There can then be no doubt that it is Him working!” Philippians 4:13 “Going right along with the theme of weaknesses, when I feel discouraged or insecure at times, I can remind myself that I can do all things through God who gives me strength. I have come a long way in my walk with Him. I have often been scared of trying new things that scare me, where I don’t feel I will succeed, but as I’ve grown, I’m learning to lean on Him. If things don’t work out, I can know that it wasn’t meant to be, and I can move on. As long as I keep Him in the center of my life I can’t go wrong! Ultimately I can 'Trust in the Lord with all of my heart and lean not on my own understanding.'” Proverbs 3:5

When I asked Rolonda who has had a strong influence in her life, she said she would have to say her own father and her grandfather. “They both had a strong love for God and His word, living their lives consistently striving to serve Him faithfully. I would often come downstairs in the morning to see my dad reading His Bible. He was probably the sweetest and most caring man I have ever known. His love for God shone in all areas of his life! He has Alzheimer’s now and is in the end stages, but up until maybe a month ago he was still quoting scripture!”

In her free time, Rolonda says that she is happiest when she is able to be outside.  She loves working in her flower beds, taking walks, camping, reading (although there never seems to be enough time for that lately), and especially loves being anywhere on the water. Their family owns a boat and often spends time at the lake with extended family, enjoying everything there is to do on the water.  "Although, I have to say that springtime is my favorite season. It’s always so exciting for me to get back outside, to see flowers starting to bloom again, and the anticipation of summer coming soon!” Rolonda’s favorite holiday is Christmas. “I love to decorate and the anticipation of what’s to come.  All of the family times together and the celebration and remembrance of the gift God has given us – our Savior!”

What is the best thing about being a woman? And, do you have any advice for young women or mothers? The things I probably love most about being a woman are shopping for ‘girly’ things, wearing jewelry and boots, make-up, scented hand lotions, and I’m also thankful I have hair to curl! :)  I also love being a mom! And I love how women are usually able to share feelings more openly with others and how quickly we can bond with other women. The advice I would give is to forgive quickly. It’s so much easier if you can do this right away! To those who are married, take time to date your husband from the very beginning of your marriage and do it regularly, not matter how busy you get or how hard it is to get away from the kids. To those who have children, ENJOY the time you have with your kids – it really does go so, so quickly!!

Quick questions:

Something people may not know about you? Ted and I had an outdoor wedding my parents' backyard – the house that I grew up in. We left the reception in a hot air balloon with about 200 balloons following us – let go by our guests.
What makes you laugh? Things that probably make me laugh the most are the funny things that   can come out of my kids' mouths, just about everything that my dogs do, (a bulldog named Stella and a Shitzu named Sophie) and honesty from friends about when they do weird things – especially when I can relate. 
Three words to describe yourself? Compassionate, a good listener, and fun-loving
Shy or outgoing? A little of each. I’m an introvert, but love to be around people, too.
Tomboy or princess? A little of each again.  I love girly things, but also love to play and get dirty.
Coffee or tea? Coffee!
Oceanside or mountainside? Oceanside
The perfect meal? Favorite foods? Bonefish Grill. Fresh seafood. Avocadoes. Cilantro. Just about anything seasoned with garlic.
Worst food ever? Liver
Morning person or night owl? Morning person
I’d love to travel to: Anywhere with a beach! Italy!
Listen, read, or watch to learn? Read
Favorite Bible character? Esther. Love the courage she shows!
Three things that bring peace to your life and/or help you relax? Scented candles, flavored coffee, and having the windows open.

Thank you Rolonda, for sharing your heart and life with us, as well as your time - as you serve the women of Sugar Grove!

Julie

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful lady and friend. Rolonda is so inspiring and reminds me of the verse about how iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. I'm so grateful to know her and have her in my life. I have seen her go through hard things and fully rely on God. She is so compassionate and caring for others. It's a true blessing to see how she spends her life tending to others.

    ReplyDelete