Monday, December 8, 2014

Dee Hurtle

By Julie Overholt


Hi ladies,

It is a privilege for me to be able to type out another interview for you all to get to know another fellow sister in Christ at Sugar Grove Church.  This month we will be meeting Dee Hurtle! So plug in the Christmas tree, grab a hot drink, and sit down by the fire (under a blanket, with your warm socks on) :) and listen in as Dee shares her story…  

Dee grew up at Sugar Grove and has been attending for 79 years! Her parents were members of the church and they attended regularly. She has been very active in church ministries over the years, including serving as a youth counselor with her late husband Chuck, teaching the 2-3 yr. old class with Sue Fields for 20+ years, serving on many women’s committees, and volunteering in the nursery. Presently, Dee serves as head of the kitchen (If you’ve ever eaten a meal served from the SGC kitchen you will certainly understand why she is in this position!), works in the Awana program, sends out material for the Home Department, and works in the Tabitha Circle.

Dee became widowed four years ago after almost 56 years of marriage, when her beloved husband Chuck passed away from cancer. “He was a great husband, father, and grandfather. He loved the Lord and we had a wonderful marriage.” Chuck and Dee went to Concord High School together and were neighbors as well. He also was a friend to Dee’s brother. “He wanted to date me, but I didn’t want to because my whole family wanted me to date him as well.” :) Chuck and Dee graduated from high school and Chuck again asked Dee for a date. Dee accepted, and says that after the first date she never turned back – as they became friends first, and then fell in love. They were married in the old Sugar Grove Church building.

When I asked Dee what helped to keep love alive in their marriage she said that they enjoyed doing things together. “I also loved doing special things for him. As well as trust, love, communication, and always being there for one another.” They were unable to have children of their own, but God blessed them with two children by adoption. Scott and his wife Deb live in North Vernon, IN, and a daughter Karla, who lives in Goshen.  Dee is also blessed with three grandchildren – Brock, Malory, and Jadyn. “Children and grandchildren are wonderful. Our family had lots of fun and have many good memories.”

Dee grew up on a farm just 1 ½ miles from SGC. She had one sister and six brothers. “We had a very interesting and busy life on the farm. We all had jobs to do. The boys worked on the farm and milked cows. My sister Carol and I gathered eggs, worked in the garden, and did housework. My brothers were all basketball players for Concord, where we all went to school. My dad was our bus driver.” Dee was very active in extracurricular activities during her school years. Something you may not know about Dee is that she had the lead part in both her junior and senior class plays in high school.  She played the clarinet in the band, was a cheerleader, was the editor for the school newspaper, worked in the school bookstore, and also won the Citizenship Award. After graduation, Dee began her first job in the office at Elkhart Brass. She then went to the factory of C.T.S. in Elkhart, before becoming the manager of the Concord Community Schools cafeteria for 30 years. She retired from this position in 1999, then taking over the kitchen at SGC. “I love doing it!”

Dee shared that she was very fortunate to have special people in her life that pointed the way to Christ as she grew up. “A very special lady, who’s name was Madge Lockwood, was in charge of Jr. Church. She was a very loving, caring, good Christian lady, who taught me a lot and made us as children feel very special. We attended Jr. Church while our parents were in the church service. We sang songs, learned Bible verses, and Mrs. Lockwood gave the Bible story.

"The invitation to accept Jesus was given often, so I knew the plan of salvation. I also had a couple other great Sunday School teachers, Christine and Frank Lynn. They were caring and very helpful and taught me many things. Also, Rev. C.S. Priest was my pastor and he gave the invitation to be saved many times, but I didn’t respond. Back then, when an invitation was given, you were to go forward in front of all the people and I had a fear of doing that. I thought I was a good person, but I knew you couldn’t get to Heaven by good works.

"Years ago we would have an evangelist come to hold meetings each night for one week. When I was a teenager, Rev. Veneroff came for these meetings. He was very interesting and got me to thinking. He gave an invitation at the beginning of the week, but I didn’t respond. During the week I was really being convicted and when he gave another invitation, I went forward and accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior. What a great peace came over me! I am so thankful for Sugar Grove Church, which has always preached from the Word of God. They always have, and still are! That is why I’m still here. Praise God.”

Some verses that are especially meaningful to Dee include:
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.
Psalm 37:5
Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will do this.
Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

“These verses help me commit, trust, and remember to always pray about things.”

In her spare time, Dee enjoys reading and knitting. She also makes mints for showers, weddings, graduations, or parties. Her favorite holiday is Christmas because it is Jesus’ birthday. She also loves the hustle and bustle of shopping, the beautiful lights, glistening snow, and the Christmas music.

Quick Questions:

What is the best part about being a woman? That God made me this way! I also love being a mother and grandmother.
What makes you laugh? Happy people, people with a good sense of humor.
Three words to describe yourself: Loving, caring, and giving.
Shy or outgoing? Outgoing
Tomboy or princess? Tomboy
Coffee or tea? Coffee
Oceanside or mountainside? Oceanside
The perfect meal? Olive Garden
Worst food ever? Oysters
Morning person or night owl? Both!
I’d love to travel to: Hawaii
Listen, read, or watch to learn? Listen and watch
Favorite Bible character? Paul
3 Things that bring peace to your life and/or help you relax? Reading the Word, reading books, and helping others.

Thank you Dee, for sharing your life with us and for serving the people of SGC so faithfully!
And ladies, may the Good News of Great Joy come to your hearts and fill you in a special way this Christmas season.

Luke 2:10-11
But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord.”

Julie




No comments:

Post a Comment